Why buy Travel insurance?
The real cost when things go wrong
An emergency abroad can be extremely expensive. If you need to
be returned to the UK it could cost you thousands of pounds, unless
you are adequately insured:
- £35-45,000 - air ambulance from USA’s East coast
- £12-16,000 - air ambulance from the Canary Islands
- £15-20,000 - scheduled flight, stretcher and Doctor escort from
Figures supplied by FirstAssist Services Ltd.
Remember: the British Embassy or High Commission will not pay
What should my travel insurance policy cover
- Medical and health cover for an injury or sudden illness abroad
– more information on medical and health cover
- 24 hour emergency service and assistance
- Personal liability cover in case you’re sued for causing injury
or damaging property
- Lost and stolen possessions cover
- Cancellation and curtailment (cutting short your trip)
- Extra cover for activities that are commonly excluded from
standard policies, such as jet skiing
- The policy should cover the whole time that you’re away
Source: Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).
Full details about this
article on Travel insurance can be found on the FCO